Thursday, August 28, 2008

"Oh, but he really wanted one"

A couple nights ago, I was telling my mom how stupid I felt when I found my first mom, having to tell her that I had a schizophrenic dad who killed himself and a mother who beat me. She couldn't quite figure out how that could affect my first mom being able to deal. Personally, I think it's pretty self-explanatory. One of the first things she said, and shit, it's what she always has to hurry up and throw out there is, "It's not my fault". Well, honestly, whether it's her fault or not is debatable, but that's for another day. When I asked her why she would adopt a baby with a mentally ill man, she said, "Because he really wanted one". Ok, so now I feel like a fucking dog! You know how people will run out and get a dog or cat "because they really want one", and then a couple years later they're done with it? Well, I would be like that dog. She even had the nerve to tell me that it was only MY opinion that people with severe mental illness shouldn't adopt! It was hard to refrain from smacking this woman! Shit, I have "Get Well From The Psych Hospital" cards mixed in w/ my baby book!

What the hell is wrong with some people? I hate, hate, hate people who can't seem to look beyond their own wants, and think about how what they want, might negatively effect someone else! So many adoptees are screwed up because of their adoptive parents' selfish desires, and then people can't understand why in the world we would want to find our birth families. For God's Sake! People need to get a clue.

No comments: